Monday, May 26, 2008

Wii Transformation

While most games nowadays, either on PC, PS3 or XBox 360 tend to make people become coach-potatoes, Wii (and its new Wii Fit board) could make people being active. You may argue, there are some games (and require extra controllers) that try to imitate the innovation made by Nintendo, yes but they're not the same.

A few weeks ago I bought this Wii because I was trying to buy Wii Fit and it requires Wii Console. At the time of this writing, all Wii Fit boards are sold out in many brick-and-mortar stores. I saw some were available on the Net, but the price tag was scarying me (double or even 5 times more expensive that its MRP).

Although I paid overprice for the console ($340'ish instead of $250), I was satisfied with it. It comes with one remote motion-sensor controller (it uses Bluetooth and IR for connection) and a Nunchuck (some games require it) that can be connected at the end of the controller. The game that comes in the box is WiiSports consisting of Tennis, Baseball, Bowling, Golf and Boxing.
My favorite sport is Tennis, Bowling and Boxing. Playing tennis is almost like playing a real tennis game. The boxing requires nunchuck so your both hands can do jab (not many variations like overcut), but still it is fun. Unfortunately, the console comes with only one set of controller, so I had to spend money to buy second controller (and another sports game for kids).

After playing those games a few days, I've lost 3 pounds of weight and got sore in my arms. My daughter lost 2 lbs and more (wow!). After seeing how fun it is to play with, I bought another two games (Table Tennis and something, I forgot the name). Yes, they mostly require using arms and not much body or leg movements required, but somehow when we played them, we tend to to simulate the real games, like catching the ball, swing etc.

We then bought another one for our daughter. It is Hannah Montana dancing game. Yet it uses mostly hands to play, it looks so fun and our daughter was so excited and addicted to it (in a good way, because she now moves her body more. It's a good work out for her and even me!).

If you want to see a bleeding-edge graphic quality, Wii is not the thing you can compare against PC, XBox 360 or PS3. For PC (which currently is the highest quality graphic among them if we use the top NVidia card and the most expensive one), it is even far better than any consoles (with the downside ofcourse its price tag).

I cannot wait to get the Wii Fit. I saw the ads, it looks more fun. It comes with a CD for playing surfboard, yoga, dancing (now it requires our legs to do steps), hulla-hop, balancing and soccer goalie (and use our head to block ball coming to our goal gate). The official price tag is $89.99 (at least when I checked at Best Buy, Game Stop, Target even they didn't have in stock yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment